The Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, has declared that funds allegedly looted by a former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, were more notorious than that of a former military leader Gen. Sani Abacha.
The anti-corruption boss, who spoke during a courtesy visit of the principal officers of the commission to The PUNCH Place, Magboro, on Thursday, said that only about 15 per cent of funds looted by Diezani had been recovered.
Magu vowed never to give up until all the money stolen from the country was recovered adding that the commission was working with the United Kingdom on her case and efforts were being made to extradite her back to Nigeria.
“We are working on the process of Diezani’s extradition. But we have to allow them (the UK government) because we are collaborating,” he said.
“There is the National Crime Agency and the Crown Prosecution Service in London, and our colleagues, the Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation in America.
“We had cause to meet in London. I was there myself for about a week. We are working not only on the Diezani case; but the Diezani case has become a test case.
“It is even more notorious than the so-called Abacha loot because we have not seen anything yet. I’m sure what we have seen is not more than may be 15 per cent.
“I think it is going to be a long time. That is why sometimes I think we should appeal to the looters to return the loot. Come and tell the government, ‘This is what I have stolen.’
“Since you have voluntarily complied with the instruction to bring back the loot, then the government will take a decision. I think it is the best way to go about it, otherwise, the monies would be wasted.
Comments