NDLEA discovers N20m worth of cannabis in warehouse


The Edo State Command of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency has discovered a large quantity of harvested dried weeds of cannabis sativa in Ugbubezi forest.

The drug exhibits, of 34 bags of compressed cannabis weighing 680kg and 94 bags of dried weeds weighing 1,316kg with a total weight of 1,996kg were evacuated from the warehouse.

Two suspected members of the drug cartel working at the warehouse were also apprehended. The estimated street value of the drug is N20million. .

One of the suspects, Augustine Egwutu, 45, married with three children, said he used to cultivate plantain and pepper, but wildfire engulfed his farm and he lost everything.

“I could not feed my family and my landlord threatened to evict me for not being able to pay my rent. This was the reason that made me go into cannabis business”, Egwutu stated.

Gabriel Orji, Gabriel Orji, 38, who cultivates cassava and plantain, told investigators that he joined the cannabis business because he needed multiple sources of income. The suspects who hail from Delta State will soon be charged to court.

Comments